Solaris to Linux move

Scott scott at globaleworks.com
Tue Sep 20 13:29:45 EDT 2005

Hey everyone.  I am in need of some help in moving off a Sun system to a
Linux system for Cyrus.  My knowledge of the hardware is pretty limited,
so I'm hoping you folks can help me avoid a major blunder.

Right now I have a Sun box that has been running Cyrus for about 4
years.  The box has 8 Sparc v9 @ 400MHz and 6GB of memory.  About 2
years ago we put all of the mail queue, DB, seen and sub files onto a
2GB solid state drive.  This setup has been running fine, supporting
about 20K webmail users.  The mail store is on a NetApp that has a 1TB
LUN direct FC connection.

It is time to retire the end of life Sun box.  I figure now is the time
to move Cyrus over to Linux on some HP iron.  Are there any "gotcha"
things that I need to look out for?  How about Xeon vs. Opteron (single
or dual core)?