constant cyrus failures with DBERROR db4

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Fri Sep 9 12:47:31 EDT 2005

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Simon Matter wrote:
>>
>> One special note:
>> The cyrus-imapd package you are using (the package from RHEL4 is based
>> on
>> my Invoca package) tries to convert the db files automatically on
>> startup.
>> However, the version you have has a bug which prevents it from
>> converting
>> all db files correctly. So you may want to convert the existing db files
>> with cvt_cyrusdb by hand to avoid problems - or update your package to
>> my
>> last one from http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/cyrus-imapd/ which has
>> several other bugs fixed.
>
> Can you tell me exactly what files to convert and how to do it by hand?

/var/lib/imap/tls_sessions.db
/var/lib/imap/deliver.db

> I assume I shutdown cyrus, maybe delete those log files if they still
> exist, then run cvt_cyrusdb (how?) on some files (which?), then
> restart cyrus?

Yes, convert the files like this:

su - cyrus -c "/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cvt_cyrusdb /var/lib/imap/deliver.db
berkeley /var/lib/imap/deliver.db.skiplist skiplist"
mv /var/lib/imap/deliver.db /var/lib/imap/deliver.db.berkeley
mv /var/lib/imap/deliver.db.skiplist /var/lib/imap/deliver.db

the same for tls_sessions.db.
Then, edit /etc/imapd.conf and start cyrus-imapd.

Anyway, if something fails, deliver.db and tls_sessions.db are not really
very important so you could even remove those db files and let cyrus-imapd
start with new empty ones.

Simon