SQUATTER script and non English folders

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 28 05:11:26 EDT 2005

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005, info-cyrus at utdallas.edu wrote:

> Since you've looked at the code, what about: squatter -r 'user.a*'

That will look for mailboxes matching user.a*.* which would match
"user.abc123.foo2 but not "user.abc123".

The code just adds ".*" to the end of any string that you give it, hence
the slightly odd wording in the manual page:

  -r: Recursively create indexes for all submailboxes of the mailboxes
      or mailbox prefixes given as arguments.

> I'm worried that if I try to squat the entire server every night, the
> I/O from that combined with backups will mean that the squatting never
> finishes in time for active business hours.

I had the same concern. I made a small change to my Cyrus install so that
it only squats a fraction of the mailboxes each night using some simple
modulo arithmetic (e.g: squatter -m0 -M5 squats 1/5th of the mailboxes).

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.