Subscribe user folder using telnet

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 25 09:49:25 EDT 2005

Patrick T. Tsang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to use telnet (console) to subscribe user IMAP user folders.
> How to do it?
> What is the standard way / command ?
>
> Since I login onto the IMAP server using the root user, cyrus,
> I can do many things but I cannot subscribe user IMAP folders.

Rather than using telnet, use imtest which can do the proxy
authentication that you need.  Do something like this:

imtest -t '' -m plain -a cyrus -u <user> <servername>

When prompted, enter the password for cyrus (alternatively, use the -w
option to put the password on the command line).

This will use the PLAIN mechanism under a TLS layer to authenticate you
as cyrus, but authorize you as whatever user that you want to have
subscribe to mailboxes.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer