Cyrus nntp and virtual domains

Ken Murchison murch at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 24 09:06:45 EDT 2005

Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I've been using cyrus-imapd for several months now to host a small set
> of virtual domains.  I've spent some time recently trying to get the
> NNTP support working, and I'm afraid I'm stuck -- it looks like I can
> have either NNTP *or* virtual domains, but not both.
>
> The nntp server only sees top-level, unqualified mailboxes (e.g.,
> lists.info-cyrus).  On the other hand, users logging into to virtual
> domain accounts (user at domain) *only* see mailboxes that exist in that
> virtual domain (lists.info-cyrus at example.com).
>
> I haven't figured out how to make either (a) top-level shared folders
> appear for all users, or (b) make nntp see mailboxes in virtual
> domains.  Are either of these configurations possible?  I'm working
> with version 2.2.12 right now (because that's what the vendor
> provides) but I'd be happy to upgrade if that would solve my problem.

Sharing newsgroups between virtual domains is something that currently
can't be done, but needs to be worked on.  Bascially, we don't support
sharing of cross-domain mailboxes, which also effects newsgroups.  I
don't have any good answers for you at the moment, unless someone else
on the list has found a creative way to do this.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer