synchronizing main and backup server

Cristian Livadaru drac3 at vwclub.ro
Mon Nov 28 16:11:24 EST 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 10:37:15PM +0200, Cristian Mitrana wrote:
> Cristian Livadaru wrote:
>
> >What would be the best way to keep 2 servers up to date with the mails?
> >I read about imapsync but here you would need the password which I could
> >implement to store it in the db in plain text but I don't realy want
> >this. I would like to keep them crypted like they are now.
> >

> Then use proxy authorization and you'll only need an admin account and
> the corresponding password to access every user's mailboxes.

thanks, just reading the docs and some posts about imapsync which also
pointed me to this.

> >My idea is to have a server here lets say foo.net which is the main mail
> >server for all my domains, and a backup mx somehere else, lets say
> >bar.net, now when foo.net is not reachable the mails will automaticaly
> >go to bar.net by having 2 mx records this should be no issue.
> >But now comes the tricky part with cyrus how do I get the mails from
> >bar.net to foo.net ?
> >

> You don't, that's what mx backups are good for. Your secondary mx
> should deliver
> the mail to your primary host when it's up. If you want to keep 2 cyrus

ok now I understand that I was looking in the wrong direction, after
reading your mail and a smal search on backup mx I found what I actualy
want.

> servers then
> perhaps you need a 2-way imapsync solution. And, of course, this only
> works for receiving
> mails, what about serving your clients and keeping their mails available
> at all times ?

while waiting for a reply I was reading some docs and I thing the
mupdate solution would be great but not quite what I need for the
moment, anywas I will also look at this after I have everything running.
once again a big thank you for the backup mx hint, didn't came acros my
mind to look in that direction.

Cris