Memory footprint reduction possible ?

Carlos Horowicz carloshorowicz at argentina.com
Mon Nov 21 22:06:39 EST 2005

Hello there,

I'm wondering if there's any way to reduce cyrus imapd memory footprint
, in order to avoid swapping.

I noticed that same OS version and same config has different footprints
in servers with different number of users.

My config is : FreeBSD 5.4-stable, cyrus imap 2.2.12 , cyrus-sasl 2.1.21
, db-4.3.27 , works nicely with between 50k and 100k mailboxes per
server. Cyrus-Sasl is compiled without GSSAPI but with MySQL and db4.3.27.

The process size of imapd, pop3d or lmtpd is between 60 and 100M , with
resident size of only between 5 or 10M. I tried changing
berkeley_cachesize , and the type of mailboxes.db (skiplist and
berkeley) but nothing changed.

DOes anybody have any suggestion on how to reduce the process size of
imapd ?

TIA,

-Carlos