Using Procmail, Sendmail with Cyrus

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at xl.wp.pl
Thu Nov 17 07:01:31 EST 2005

gui wrote:
> I'm trying to use Procmail on my Sendmail/Cyrus server.
> I'm using cyrus-imapd-2.2.12 and Sendmail 8.13.3on Freebsd 5.4, and want
> to use procmail-3.22_6.
>
> I couldn't find much information on the web on how to use procmail. My
> main objective is to get bsd vacation working - and this requires procmail.
> I need vacation because my webmail Horde needs it (cannot use sieve).
>
> The only information I can find is :
> http://subwiki.honeypot.net/cgi-bin/view/Freebsd/SendMailAndCyrus?skin=print.pattern
>
> And the O'Rielly IMAP Management book.  But both are not very clear.
> Has anybody installed and configured Procmail on a Sendmail/Cyrus server?
> Care to share your experience and a How-To?
>
> Thank you very much in anticipation.

The simplest method is to make sendmail deliver messages via standard local
mailer and use ~/.procmailrc to redirect messages to cyrus using "deliver"
program from cyrus package.

There are multitude of cyrus&sendmail integration methods.
A few are described at: http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/#cyrus

e.g. it is possible to select cyrus mailer *after* alias and ~/.forward
expansion. It will allow users with OS account to use procmail for
processing recived messages. Users without ~/.forward file and existing
corresponding cyrus mailobx will get their mail delivered to cyrus mailbox.

[en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at priv.onet.pl : anfi at xl.wp.pl
http://anfi.homeunix.net/  Netcraft Site Rank: 475308
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
      -- Edmund Burke, 18th century