createmailbox: permission denied when logged on as admin

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Nov 1 20:03:04 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 19:48 -0500, Robbie Cahill wrote:
> I get the following errors now -
> localhost.localdomain> cm user.order at fitstar.com.au
> createmailbox: Permission denied
> localhost.localdomain> cm user/order at fitstar.com.au
> createmailbox: Invalid mailbox name
>
> I added the following to imapd.conf
> unixhierarchysep: 0
> altnamespace: 0
> I still get the same errors as above.
>
> -Robbie
>
> Robbie Cahill wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I did this
> >
> > localhost bin # cyradm -auth DIGEST-MD5 --user
> > robbie at fitstar.com.au --authz robbie at fitstar.com.au localhost
> > Password: <of course, I put in the correct password and pressed enter>
> > localhost.localdomain> cm user.order at fitstar.com.au
> > createmailbox: Permission denied
> > localhost.localdomain>
> >
> > here is some of my imapd.conf
> > admins: cyrus, robbie at fitstar.com.au, robbie at activebase.com.au
> >
> > ..
> >
> > anyone got an idea of whats going on?
> > It was working before...happened all of a sudden without me doing nothing
> > I want to create a mailbox without permission denied.
> > robbie at fitstar.com.au is an admin, as shown above. All the emails
> > on the system work fine in sync with postfix I just cant add new
> > ones for some reason.
> >
> > Also If I log in as cyrus even with the correct password with
> > cyradm, I get "cannot authenticate with digest-md5 as cyrus."
> > another part of imapd.conf says:
> >
> > sasl_mech_list: LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 NTLM
> > Ive tried this 50 times, caps lock is off. it has to be a problem
> > with the server.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Robbie Cahill
> >

> This is about uixhieracy+altnamespace i imapd.conf
>
> Try to add a user like this (or change altnamespace+uixhieracy),
>
> cm user/order at fitstar.com.au

----
suggest that you simply set in imapd.conf

admins: cyrus
unixhierarchysep: 1

then restart cyrus-imapd

and then log in as cyrus, I do it this way...

su - cyrus -c '/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyradm localhost'
but you could probably do
/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/cyradm --user cyrus

and then you should be able to create the mailboxes.

Craig

believed to be clean.