clamav?

Jim Levie jim at entrophy-free.net
Fri May 6 17:41:50 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 16:35, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2005, Sergey wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 03 May 2005 01:21, Amos wrote:
> >
> >> Hmmm... what's this about ClamAV? Integrated virus scanning? Maybe
> >> for the Sieve virus check test?
> >
> > It is very bad idea. Anti-virus check should be made at a stage of
> > smtp-session. The sender should receive reject <virus name> after data.
> > It is not a problem of cyrus-imap. It is a task of MTA.
>
> 'k, I use postfix right now, and amavisd for the virus scanning ... as far
> as I know, the sender doesn't receive a 'reject <virus name>' that way
> either ... or is there something that I need to setup for this to happen?

I use MailScanner to to A/V scanning and spam control and it can be
configured to send a reject back to the sender of a virus infected
message. But in the general case it is a bad idea since most of what
you'll see will have a forged envelope sender. So any notice you send
back is unlikely to reach the real sender and winds up just being an
annoyance to some innocent party. During the recent Sober outbreak I was
getting about 30 reject warnings an hour from all over the place. Given
that I don't have any windows boxes and thus could never have been the
source of a Sober infected email it was just a major annoyance.
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed
RedHat.