[POLL] unexpunge behavior

Marco Colombo marco at esi.it
Thu May 5 05:52:35 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 15:15 -0400, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2005, Ken Murchison wrote:
>
> > Igor Brezac wrote:
> >>
> >> How does quota work?  I assume that a 'deleted message' (before it is
> >> cyr_expire'd) does not count against quota.
> >
> > Correct.
>
> And since the user can't get it back without intervention it's not
> secretly limitless quota, though it does make knowing how much disk space
> you've allocated less deterministic.

What prevents an user from exceeding his quota by a huge amount of
space? Say I create 100MB of messages, delete them, and repeat? True,
sooner or later the expire daemon will kick in, but what about if the
user is fast enough to fill your disk up _before_ that happens?

I perfectly understand that the other way (deleted messages counted)
prevents the user from freeing space in his mailbox in a timely manner.

Maybe an extra quota? Something like the "deleted" space is 1/2 or the
same of the user quota. That would put a limit on the allocated space
(1.5 or 2 times the quota value). Most users won't notice, and runaway
(or malicious) cases have a predictable limitation.

.TM.
--
     /      /       /                   Marco Colombo