Shared Mailboxes and Postfix

Josh Whitver whitverj at urbandale.k12.ia.us
Sat May 21 13:14:28 EDT 2005

Andreas Hasenack <ahasenack at terra.com.br> on Friday, May 20, 2005 at 8:53 PM
-0600 wrote:
>> Well, "conference" isn't a user on the mail system.  As I understood it,
>> when dealing with shared mailboxes, the postuser as specified in imapd.conf
>> didn't actually need to exist, and this would allow the Shared mailboxes to
>> exist outside of the user mailbox heirarchy.
>>
>> Do I need to have a "Conference" user and put all the shared mailboxes
>> under that user's mailbox structure?  I suppose I could do that if
>> necessary, but I'd like to avoid it if possible.
>
>Was my previous email about this lost somehow? I explained what your problem
>was and how to fix it. Or didn't it help perhaps?

I saw it, but wasn't sure it was applicable.   I was told earlier that the
postuser ("Conference" in my case) didn't need to be an actual user on the mail
system.  I'm trying to clear up that confusion now, but am not getting a clear
answer.

Does the postuser need to be a true, actual user on the system for shared
mailboxes and bulletin boards to function?  Is it possible to have shared
mailboxes/bulletin boards exist outside of the user mailbox heirarchy, or do
they need to just be another user's mailboxes set up with appropriate ACLs to
allow multiple people to read them?

What I'd like is this:
Users/
   <All user mailboxes>
News/
   <All District-wide bulletin boards>
Buildings/
   <All building-specific bulletin boards>

Mac OS X Server already gives me the Users heirarchy automatically.  If I have
to, I'll put the News and Buildings boards under a "Conference" user, but I was
under the impression that that wasn't necessary and I'd like to avoid it if
possible, since shared mailboxes display their entire path to my end users in
the client we're using, and I'd like to avoid the confusion that might entail
(as well as the security implications).

Thanks!
--
Josh Whitver