Shared Mailboxes and Postfix

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon May 9 17:56:21 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 09:26 -0500, Josh Whitver wrote:

> As I understand it, this should allow us to send mail to "Conference+<shared
> mailbox name>@<domain>" and have the message delivered to the shared mailbox.
> This isn't what's happening, however.  Initially, there was no mail-capable
> user named "Conference", so I created one, but now all mail sent to the address
> above gets delivered to the "Conference" user Inbox, not the shared mailbox.

You shouldn't need an actual user mailbox for 'Conference'.  What you do
need, however, is to add an ACL for 'anonymous' to have 'p' (posting)
access.

> One final complication:  Apple, in their infinite wisdom, has slightly modified
> the default naming convention for mailboxes for their distribution of cyrus -
> user mailboxes are named with "/" as the separator (so
> "user/<username>/<mailbox name>" is the norm, instead of being named with
> periods).

That's just 'unixheirarcysep'; it's not uncommon for people to enable
this, because it lets them have names like 'firstname.surname'
mailboxes.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *