Auto-Archiving, and Unread Threshold Alert

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue May 10 21:40:55 EDT 2005

Senandung Mendonan wrote:

> On 5/10/05, Michael King <mking at webinternational.net> wrote:
>
>>My guess would be the Cyrus::IMAP Perl module as a place to start.
>>
>>Otherwise, I don't know of any way to automate this using the cyrus
>>distribution.
>

> Thanks for the pointer, though I'm not really sure how to implement
> using Cyrus::IMAP (I thought of using one of the IMAP perl modules in
> CPAN, deciding which one).
>
> One common major issue with what I'm trying to do is having the IMAP
> agent scripts (typically run in crontab by user cyrus) access each
> user's mailbox, without knowing that user's password. How do I go
> about doing this? I've activated ACLs on each mailbox to allow full
> access by user cyrus, but don't know how to actually access them via
> IMAP.

You can have the admin proxy as the user (using the admins password, but
act on behalf of the user), by using a SASL mechanism which allows
proxying (PLAIN, DIGEST-MD5).  You will authenticate as the admin (using
the admin's userid and password), but authorize as the user (using the
user's userid).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127