Sieve 2.2 not working

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue May 10 21:38:52 EDT 2005

John Lane wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to get Sieve working, to no avail. Having scoured the
> mailing lists / google, I've found other people with the same problem but
> can't find a solution.
>
> My configuration comprises postfix, procmail and cyrus-imap. It is all
> working as expected except for Sieve.
>
> I'm running Cyrus-IMAP 2.2.12, and Cyrus-SASL 2.1.20. My received e-mails
> are showing "X-Sieve: CMU Sieve 2.2" so I guess that proces Sieve is
> compiled in and being called.
>
> This is my test script (email address changed) :
> require ["reject","fileinto"];
>
>   if address :is :all "From" "email at domain.com"
>   {
>     reject "testing";
>   }
>
> I have successfully installed this using sieveshell and it is correctly
> installed in the sievedir defined in imapd.conf and has a symlink
> "defaultbc" pointing to it.
>
> I have successfully got the sieve test program to report the expected
> output:
> -bash-2.05b# ./test /tmp/msg /var/lib/imap/sieve/t/testuser/sievetest.bc
> rejecting message '/tmp/msg' with 'testing'
>
> (note here that the test prog requires the byte-code version of the script -
> I couldn't find this point documented anywhere)
>
> However, When I send a mail into the server the sieve script has no effect.
> Otherwise the system is fine.

My guess is that Sieve can't find your "sendmail" binary to process the
rejection message, which causes the script to fail, thus doing an
implicit keep (delivering to INBOX).  Try setting the "sendmail" option
in imapd.conf to the explicit path of the "sendmail" program/script
provided by Postfix and see if this solves the problem.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127