put on the subject line. was: spam

Marco Colombo marco at esi.it
Tue May 17 10:03:10 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 07:43 -0500, Greg Harris wrote:
> >  >My MacOSX Mail application cannot sort mail from here into the right
> >  >postboxes.
> > Then you must not be doing it right.  Any message coming
> > through the list has in the headers:
> >   Sender: owner-info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
> >
> > I haven't had a problem with sorting on that with any tool that I
> > have tried.
> >
> > While I see how some people may want to have some special identifier
> > in the Subject of the message, I think the claims that they can't get
> > things auto-sorted are exagerations.   More often it's the case
> > they don't want to auto-sort, but be able to quickly pick things out
> > of their unsorted incoming message list.
> >
> > Getting the Subject line tags right can be a problem too.  Some clients
> > mess up various replies so you get things like
> > Re: [info-cyrus] RE: [info-cyrus] FWD:Re: [info-cyrus] put on the subject
> > line.
> >
> > -_Gene
>
> While I agree with you that sorting is probably possible on any client, it
> is really nice when the tags are in place.  They make things much cleaner
> when the occasional e-mail jumps through the hoops because of a slight
> change in the addressing scheme.  If I can set my filter to look for any
> instance of [Info-Cyrus] in the subject line, then everything that is
> supposed to go to that folder goes and nothing else.
>
> While some subject lines do get a little messy, it is easier for a person to
> jump past all of the junk in the subject line than to move messages between
> folders.  This is the only list that I know of that does not add a tag to
> the subject line and I have always thought that it was a little weird and
> wished it was there.

Well, it would be the only one that _does_ for me. There are some
(mailman based) lists that by default do Subject: mangling, but luckily
you can turn that off.

I'm against any kind of header mangling by list software, unless there's
a technical reason for it (like Sender:, which does make sense to
change). If anyone is going to change current behaviour, please make it
so it's user configurable.

And I really can't think of any reason why those "occasional e-mail
jumps through the hoop" should ever change the Sender: header. But I'm
all for a List-Id: header if Sender: is not enough/good for most uses.

Just my 0.02c.
.TM.
--
     /      /       /                   Marco Colombo