user+folder delivery

Drew Smith (mux) drew at riotnrrd.com
Tue May 17 15:45:39 EDT 2005

Hey folks, a quick question regarding user+folder delivery.

I've been googling, reading the archives, and the like, but I haven't
been able to find an answer there, nor when experimenting myself.

Ok - the answer to 'how to deliver into subfolders' seems to be 'give
the user anonymous or nobody the "p" flag on the folder in question'.

This doesn't work for me.  I mean, it functions as advertised, but it's
unacceptable. :(

What my Evil Masters are asking for is a server-side answer to the
Outlook 'Sent Items on IMAP' problem.  My Evil Masters tend to jump from
machine to machine, and would like their sent items to reside on the
server, without having to setup Outlook rules to do this on every
Outlook they come in contact with.  Our answer appears to be to use the
Postfix 'sender_bcc_maps'; every time they send an email through our
mailserver, that email should be bcc'd to "username+Sent\
Items at localhost.ourcompany.com".  I think it should work.  If it has to
be 'username+sent_items at ourcompany.com', that'd be ok too, tho the email
will only ever be local.

The problem is, if I allow anonymous access to post to those folders, we
have a gaping hole where any outsider can send email directly into every
user's Sent Items folder.  This may be acceptable to most folks, but not
to my Evil Masters!

So, what I'm trying to do is allow only, say, jeff at ourcompany.com to
post into jeff+Sent\ Items at ourcompany.com.  In postfix, I'm using lmtp,
but I've also tried using 'deliver' with the '-a' switch, to no avail.

Is this even possible?  Is anyone else allowing 'post' access only to
certain users?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
- Drew.

--
Drew Smith (mux) <drew at riotnrrd.com>
Encrypted e-mail preferred - finger for public key.