More Virtual Domains, SASL and LDAP

Bill MacAllister post+cyrus at macallister.grass-valley.ca.us
Tue May 17 17:18:45 EDT 2005

Hello,

We are having trouble getting our hands around using Virtual Domains with
LDAP.  We have Cyrus IMAP server working as we expect, but the SASL
configuration is a bit of a puzzle.  We have assigned each virtual domain
an IP address.  I would like to connect to the ldap server and set the base
using a saslauthd.conf file like:

ldap_servers: ldap://ldap.%r
ldap_search_base: ou=people,dc=%2,dc=%1
ldap_filter: uid=%u

This does not seem to work.  I never see any attempt to contact the LDAP
server.  What I see in /var/local/messages is:

May 17 00:14:09 bb2 saslauthd[32500]: do_auth         : auth failure:
[user=weezer] [service=imap] [realm=foo.com] [mech=ldap] [reason=Unknown]

I never did see any documentation saying that %r, %1-%9 where useful
anywhere else by in the filter, but there is a note about using realms with
ldap.  Should I expect to be able to set the servers and base using the
meta characters?  If this is not possible how do I get sasl to support
multiple search bases and/or multiple LDAP servers?

Thanks in advance,

Bill