Cyrus shared folders

Scott Balmos sbalmos at members.simunex.com
Wed May 18 10:12:32 EDT 2005

<quote who="Klaus P. Pieper">
> Now we are looking for a way to set up shared folders and bulletin
> boards. However, as far as I can see, the Cyrus server reads the
> user-to-group relationship always from /etc/group. Is there a way to use
> the database for this purpose? If not, can the Cyrus server be run
> chrooted with its own /etc/group? Or is there any other workaround to
> avoid using /etc/group of the base system?

I am assuming you're referring to taking advantage of group:foo style ACL
entries. Google for, and set up, nss_mysql. Cyrus reads group membership
information from the NSS subsystem. Setting up nss_mysql will have the
added side-benefit of allowing you to use finger, id, and other UNIX
account information widgets on your MySQL based users. They'll essentially
be as "normal" as a user in the /etc password & group database files.

--Scott