Problems with mupdate server.

João Assad jfassad at parperfeito.com.br
Thu May 19 15:30:16 EDT 2005

Carol Tardif wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are using Cyrus-2.2.10 in a Murder environnement with two
> backend +200K mailboxes each. Since our upgrade from Red Hat 7.3
> to RHEL 3.0 AS we get this error:
>
> May 19 13:56:07 mupdate mupdate[26023]: DBERROR: skiplist recovery
> /var/imap/mailboxes.db: 45DF894 should be ADD or DELETE
> May 19 13:56:07 mupdate mupdate[26023]: DBERROR: error updating
> database user.test1234.sbb: cyrusdb error

check if you can find an IOERROR before this DBERROR, could be anywhere
from 1 hour before it to days before it.
It should be an IOERROR complaining that cyrus cant mmap the mailboxes file.

> Since then our backends seems to have trouble to update their mailbox
> list.
> Because some users can't see some of their mailbox.
> With a ctl_mboxlist -d -f /var/imap/mailboxes we see the mailbox on
> the backend
> but not on the mupdate with the same command.
>
> First we restarted cyrus on both backend to make the backend execute
> the command
> ctl_mboxlist -m. I'm not sure about running the command while cyrus is
> running.
> Then everything is ok. But after some user creation the problem is back.
>
> I don't wan't to delete the mupdate mailbox.db because I know it's
> gonna take aroung 8 hours.
>
> Is it normal while cyrus on backends is running that when we do a
> ctl_mboxlist -mw we get output? Aren't the backend supposed the be
> always up
> to date?
>
> First I would like to correct the DBERROR, then I would like to
> understand why
> this append.

If you dont have a healthy backup of your master mailboxdb, you will
have to stop cyrus master, delete the mailboxes file, start cyrus master
and run ctl_mboxlist -m on the backends to resync everything.

I belive you are having the same problem I had some time ago,
Fedora/RHEL mmap seems to be broken somehow. I have a fix you can use,
but only if you are really having the IOERROR I asked for you to check.

> Thanks for any answers or pointers.

Regards,

--

- João Assad