Server migration - UIDL & Outfloop

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon May 30 16:43:41 EDT 2005

Christian Cernuschi wrote:
> I'm planning a migration from Cyrus 2.1.9 to Cyrus 2.2.12 (Suse->Gentoo)
> but i have few doubts.
>
> Unfortunatly clients are Outlook with POP3 "leave mail on server" (they
> cannot use imap for several reasons)
>
> I know how to keep mailbox structure (as they also access mailboxes
> through webmail and take benefits from imap features)
>
> My problem are UIDLs.
> If those uidls change...all mails are re-downloaded (we're talking about
> gigs mailboxes)
>
> I think they are stored in cyrus.* files.

The Cyrus POP3 UIDL format is "<uidvalidity>.<uid>", where <uidvalidity>
is the IMAP UIDVALIDITY of the mailbox (stored in cyrus.index) and <uid>
is the UID of the message (same number as the message filename).

> So i shouldn't have problems migrating.
> But i would like to be sure that file formats are compatible and a
> reconstruct won't change them.

Reconstruct *will* change the UIDVALIDITY, therefore the UIDL will change.

The Cyrus 2.2.12 code *should* upgrade the mailboxes on the fly without
changing the UIDVALIDITY.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127