Cyrus IMAP - sync two servers (one Public, one Private)

Paul M Fleming pfleming at siumed.edu
Tue Mar 8 11:12:51 EST 2005

Unless you need two servers for fault tolerance syncing two hosts
probably is more work than it's worth. There are other ways to solve the
performance/isolation problem. The solution depends on the level of
isolation you require between inside and outside the firewall.
Definitely plan on an external SMTP handler to deal with spam etc. We
use the same backend servers (gig-e) attached for inside and outside
users. Outside users come in through an external IMAP proxy (currently
custom code, future Murder) to our farm of 3 back-end hosts. Inside
users use 2 different proxies. In your case, if you only have 1 IMAP
server you could use perdition http://www.vergenet.net/linux/perdition/
to proxy the outside users if you require that level of isolation,
otherwise just use the firewall to control what comes in. You could also
multi-home the IMAP Store.

In the simplest case:

Internet

Firewall - DMZ - External SMTP

Gig-E Switch - IMAP Store

With two different servers

Internet

Firewall - DMZ - External SMTP & IMAP Proxy

Inside Network

IMAP Store

Your question is as much a network / security architecture question as
Cyrus/IMAP question.