Posting directly to subfolder / "+"-Notation [postfix]

tschloss at web.de tschloss at web.de
Wed Mar 30 03:10:09 EST 2005

Hello,
does anybody know how to prepare my mailserver - I assume it is a problem of the MTA, Postfix in this case -  to make sending mail directly to a folder possible.

The syntax seems to be <username>+<foldername>@example.org, e.g. john+private at example.org posts a message directly into john´s folder named private (assuming the sender has "p" rights there).

I assume the message has to go over the MTA and there ist blocked with an error about the unknown user "john+private".

If there is not a general way to let Postfix handle these adresses correctly there may be a hard way, ie.g. to list all possible "virtual" addresses in a list like an alias list. (I  intend to use this feature only for a couple of  public bulletinboard like folders, not for every users´s  folders).

Or a completely different approach: I define another notation, e.g. [[<foldername>]] (double square brackets) in the _subject_ field and install some filter to rewrite the mailadress lto address user+folder before Cyrus gets the message. This could be more robust when a message has to go through more than the final MTA.

Thanks in advance
Thomas