Cyrus Sieve + Postfix vacation reply problem

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Jun 16 12:15:00 EDT 2005

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Oliver Kaltenecker wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we have a problem with vacation replies sent from cyrus sieve where the
> sender address isn't converted according to the given sender_canonical_maps
> entry in postfix configuration.
>
> When normal mail is sent from the accounts the sender address is converted
> properly as expected.
>
> I mailed this topic to postfix-users mailing list already for I thought it
> would be a configuration problem of postfix address rewriting. Although I got
> a lot of hints there I couldn't resolve the problem until now.
>
> What I don't really understand is how sieve and postfix interact in case of
> an vacation record. I always thought it would be the same as if the absent
> user himself replied to an incomming message.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Any mail sent out of a sieve script ends up calling the local sendmail
binary to send the mail.  In the case of postfix of course, sendmail is a
dummy program to inject messages into postfix's mail queue.

I don't know enough about postfix to directly answer your question, but
perhaps since sieve is calling sendmail to inject mail into the queue,
that mail is not subject to the sender_canonical_maps processing that
occurs over a regular SMTP connection from the user's email client.

 	Andy