mailboxes directory access

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Jun 23 08:55:13 EDT 2005

eppo at darox.net wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When an IMAP or a POP client check every minute if there is a new mail awaiting,
> does cyrus-imapd always look in the spool directory in the cyrus.* file ? or
> does it looks in the DB files in the config directory ? What file is updated
> when a new mail is stored ?

The cyrus.index file of the mailbox is opened and the header is read to
check for new messages.

When a new message is stored, the cyrus.index and cyrus.cache files are
updated, and possibly the corresponding quota file is updated.

> I am just wondering putting the spool directory on a NFS server and I don't want
> it overloaded by aggressive clients.

Bad idea.  Search the list archives for the reasons why.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127