designing a backup mail server

Shaun Feeley shaun.feeley at cytopia.com.au
Fri Jun 24 02:09:07 EDT 2005

Hi Guys,
I'm not sure if I'm at the right place so sorry if this is annoying
but...

I run a cyrus mail server here at Cytopia supporting about 35 users.  I
have recently purchased some new boxes to upgrade the servers.  I am
upgrading the Cyrus server, but I am also keen to run a mirror backup
cyrus server.  Now my question is, can anyone give me any pointers on
how to go about designing a backup mail server.

I have configured one box as I want, then mirrored in onto another.  But
I am confused about the DNS setup .. should I create an alias ie mail
that can point to either??

And secondly I am keen to somehow have the mail server polled and if it
stops responding bring the backup server into play.  To keep them
syncronised I am planning to use rsync... but then how do I keep the
sasl backend in sync, with different realms etc?

Anyway as you might have gathered I am by no means on top of the problem
so any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Shaun

--
Shaun Feeley
Systems Administrator

CYTOPIA RESEARCH PTY LTD
A.C.N. 082 492 680
Level 5, Baker Heart Research Institute Building
Commercial Road
Melbourne Victoria 3004 Australia
Tel: +61 3 9522 6900
Fax: +61 3 9510 9292
Email: cytopia at cytopia.com.au
Website: www.cytopia.com.au

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended
only for the use of the addressee (s). If you receive this e-mail in
error,
please notify the sender by return e-mail immediately and erase all
copies
of the message and attachments."