Tunning for large number of files in INBOX

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed Jun 29 17:52:30 EDT 2005

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Michael Loftis wrote:

> --On June 29, 2005 4:30:06 PM -0400 Joel Nimety <jnimety at perimeterusa.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to set up cyrus-imap as a backend for an email archiving
>> solution.  I'm creating one account on the imap server for each customer
>>   domain(s) we'll be archiving mail for.  I'm concerned that the number
>> of emails that will end up in each INBOX will reach some limit (ext3 fs
>> limit, practical limit, etc.)
>
> With EXT3 there are definite limits, not hard ones, but practical ones for
> time to traverse/read the inode and list.  Use ReiserFS.  For Mail clients
> most can't handle big folders because many of them are just POP3/NNTP clients
> retrofitted to squak IMAP.  Get a real IMAP client like Mulberry that takes
> advantage of server side sorting, threading, and searching to allow for
> (nearly) limitless mailboxes but not download each and every header.
>
> With ReiserFS and UFS+Hashdirs (Linux and FreeBSD respectively) I personally
> have many mailboxes that are well over 20k or 30k messages, and have a few in
> the 200k range, haven't run into any performance problems. With EXT3 I had
> serious problems in the 5k range, or less.

In the interest of completeness, under 2.6 linux kernels you can format an
ext3 partition using the dir_index option.  This enables a hash tree index
for directories that supposedly improves lookups with very large
directories.  Here is the command I use to build my mail spool filesystem:

   mkfs -t ext3 -j -m 1 -O dir_index /dev/sdb1

I have not used other filesystems such as Reiser or XFS, so I cannot offer
any performance comparisons.

 	Andy