Tunning for large number of files in INBOX

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Thu Jun 30 03:04:03 EDT 2005

--On June 29, 2005 2:52:30 PM -0700 Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Michael Loftis wrote:
> In the interest of completeness, under 2.6 linux kernels you can format
> an ext3 partition using the dir_index option.  This enables a hash tree
> index for directories that supposedly improves lookups with very large
> directories.  Here is the command I use to build my mail spool filesystem:

I thought maybe there was but I wasn't sure.  FreeBSD/BSD UFS is in that
exact same manner, though it was first ;)  same idea though, it's an
extension that can be enabled/disabled via tunefs.  It definitely helps.

Thanks for chiming in on that.  Not being sure, and not having time to
investigate I felt it better to post what I knew rather than on conjecture.
I'd imagine that the dir_index stuff helps EXT3 in the same way it helps
UFS making it pretty close to the performance of ReiserFS in situations
where without it, both Filesystems fall flat on their faces.