moving message on nearly full mailbox with IMAP

Gregg Berkholtz gregg at gbcomputers.com
Sat Jul 2 23:35:55 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 02:00:03PM -0500, John Madden wrote:
> > Because IMAP doesn't provide a "move" operation for messages.  Your
> > client is probably first doing an append of the message to the
> > destination folder (which is what's putting it over quota) then storing
> > the delete flag of the original message and expunging.
>
> I'm sure we've all had problems with this.
>
> Is it wise to modify these clients to instead FETCH, delete/expunge, then STORE?
>
> John

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't FETCH, delete/expunge, STORE pose
performance issues for users attempting to move large messages and/or
folders, while using a client behind a less than ideal connection (ie:
modem, T1, broadband, etc)?

With the long-time shift towards the concept of "Trash" and "Recycle
Bin". It sounds like the IMAP spec needs a MOVE - if not just for the
ability to MOVE very large messages around, or to move messages into
the trash when a mailbox is near its quota.

Couldn't such a spec change be implemented as an RFC "SHOULD", therefore
allowing servers and clients the option to implement it.

Gregg