postifx, cyrus, virtual domains, defaultdomain followup

Howard Shere hmsme at greendragon.com
Sun Jul 3 09:51:56 EDT 2005

I have spent some times trying various things to get what I want to
work, but I have not been able to get it going.

I am trying to setup a server with virtual domains where at least one
of them can be POPed or IMAPed by a user who only enters the user name
as the account name when they login. I have not been able to find the
right combination of options to make this happen.

Here are the options I have tried adjusting:

in imap.conf:

servername: mail.watervalley.net
unixhierarchysep: yes
virtdomains: on
defaultdomain: watervalley.net

and, in web-cyradm's conf.php:

$DOMAIN_AS_PREFIX = 1;

Those are the settings I think I need

In postfix's main.cf, I have:

mydestination =
         $myhostname,
         localhost.$mydomain,
         $mydomain,
         sheepgonewild.com,
         watervalley.net,
         mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-mydestination.cf

#fallback_transport = lmtp:unix:/file/name
local_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp
mailbox_transport = cyrus

-----

I have tried varying combinations of the above options (I have not
changed anything in the postfix configuration, I just listed it above
for reference) without changing anything else. The IP of the mail
server resolves to mail.watervalley.net. I restart cyrus, sasl, and
postfix everytime I make my changes and I use web-cyradm to delete the
entire domain and I recreate it.

I see in the maillog that when mail comes in to user.watervalley.net,
that postfix always changes it to user.watervalley.net at watervalley.net
and the mail gets delivered fine, but if a user logs in with just thier
user name, it will get changed to user at watervalley.net and that doesn't
match.

There must be a combination of options which will let users for
watervalley.net email check their mail with just user in the account
name, but I can't figure it out.

What am I missing?

Howard Shere
Altair 8800a to Mac OS X so far...