Sieve & LMTP

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sat Jul 16 20:01:33 EDT 2005

Kevin Menard wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> It's been a few years since I've posted here, so I hope everyone is
> doing well.
>
> I'm running into a bit of a configuration issue that I hope someone
> might be able to help out with.  I decided it was time to try letting
> sieve manage my filters and got avelsieve set up with squirrelmail  this
> morning.  I had to fight with timsieve for a bit in order to get  it to
> use the correct SASL auth mechanisms, but that part is working  fine
> now.  So, I have the sieve server set up and a script on there,  but
> nothing's getting processed.

Did you activate the script?  If you look in your sieve directory
(sievedir option in imapd.conf hashed by userid), you should see a
'defaultbc. link pointing to '<scriptname>.bc'

> I normally use LMTP to deliver mail from Postfix to Cyrus.  I tried  to
> use deliver, since googling seemed to indicate this was the best  way to
> do sieve filtering, but using deliver broke my virtdomain  config (it
> strips the domain when delivering).  So, what's the best  way to get
> sieve working with LMTP?  Is it even possible?  Or is it  possible to
> use deliver and preserve the full mailbox name?

You definitely do NOT want to use deliver unless you absolutely have to.
  Deliver is just an LMTP client anyways, and adds an extra (possibly
expensive) process (fork() + exec()) to the pipeline.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127