breakage issues that I haven't figured out how to resolve

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jul 24 10:33:40 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 11:45 +0200, Simon Matter wrote:
> > Whiteboxlinux 3 (RHEL 3 clone) - Simon's rpm's

> > So my questions...
> >
> > 1. Do I have to rpmbuild --rebuild cyrus-imapd source rpm's against this
> > newer version of db4 for it to work? Seems that it shouldn't have broken
> > cyrus-imapd
>
> If the dp update is just a bug fix update, with same BDB version,
> everything should work without modifying cyrus-imapd at all. So what
> exactly went wrong?
----
I cleared out the maillogs which grew massive very quickly but it was
something like Unable to operate in PRIVATE ENVIRONMENT - a bdb error.

I would have thought that the 4.1.25-8 and the 4.1.25-8.1 wouldn't have
broken things but it did. I did compile it on the former. I would
presume that until I 'exclude' db4 from updating, a yum update command
would break it all over again.
----
> I know that there is a problem in the rpm which affects poeople who change
> database configuration in /etc/imapd.conf and the rpm should convert
> databases on the fly but doesn't always do it correctly. The next release
> will fix to bugs. However, I don't think that's what you did, right?
----
no - kept imap.conf throughout. I have a fairly well defined imap.conf
now
----

> > 2. I ended up having to 'cm' createmailbox for the users (mainly me) and
> > did 'reconstruct -rf user.craig' which got back all but nested
> > subfolders. Meaning...
> > /var/spool/imap/c/user/craig/SPAMBOX #is fine
> > /var/spool/imap/c/user/craig/Saved/Shell Scripts #didn't get added to
> > mailboxlist. Nothing in the 'Saved' subdirectory or 'logs' subdirectory
> > was re-constructed. What's the trick?
>
> Are you sure your databases are working correct? Maybe you want to look at
> the logs first. Healing a broken BDB environment has been discussed on
> this list recently and I'm no expert in BDB.
----
the only error my standard /var/log/maillog reports is user.root not
having a default sieve script - hardly something that concerns me. I can
run.

su - cyrus -c '/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/reconstruct -rf user.craig' until
doomsday and it will not pick up the 'mail folders'
in /var/spool/imap/c/user/craig/logs - I can't figure this out and none
of the documentation suggests otherwise.
----

> > 3. I lost all subscriptions (but the seen list was ok) and when I choose
> > to 'subscribe' to folders from my mail client, I am told that the IMAP
> > server doesn't support subscriptions... How to fix this?
>
> I have no idea. BTW, if you're also using skiplist, make sure none of the
> files is corrupt.
----
I deleted /var/lib/imap/user/c/craig.sub but still the same problem. I
am told that on my account, the system doesn't support subscriptions. I
can't figure out what else to try.

Thanks

Craig