breakage issues that I haven't figured out how to resolve

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Sun Jul 24 11:23:35 EDT 2005

> On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 11:45 +0200, Simon Matter wrote:
>> > Whiteboxlinux 3 (RHEL 3 clone) - Simon's rpm's
>

>> > So my questions...
>> >
>> > 1. Do I have to rpmbuild --rebuild cyrus-imapd source rpm's against
>> this
>> > newer version of db4 for it to work? Seems that it shouldn't have
>> broken
>> > cyrus-imapd
>>
>> If the dp update is just a bug fix update, with same BDB version,
>> everything should work without modifying cyrus-imapd at all. So what
>> exactly went wrong?
> ----
> I cleared out the maillogs which grew massive very quickly but it was
> something like Unable to operate in PRIVATE ENVIRONMENT - a bdb error.
>
> I would have thought that the 4.1.25-8 and the 4.1.25-8.1 wouldn't have
> broken things but it did. I did compile it on the former. I would
> presume that until I 'exclude' db4 from updating, a yum update command
> would break it all over again.
> ----
>> I know that there is a problem in the rpm which affects poeople who
>> change
>> database configuration in /etc/imapd.conf and the rpm should convert
>> databases on the fly but doesn't always do it correctly. The next
>> release
>> will fix to bugs. However, I don't think that's what you did, right?
> ----
> no - kept imap.conf throughout. I have a fairly well defined imap.conf
> now

What do you mean with "fairly well defined imap.conf" ?
The cyrus-imapd rpms out of the box use skiplist for mbox, seen and
annotation, and flat for subs, and berkeley for duplicate and tls. Did you
change this? How do the following files look:
/usr/share/cyrus-imapd/rpm/db.cfg
/var/lib/imap/rpm/db.cfg.cache
/etc/imapd.conf

Simon