Move to another server?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Thu Jan 27 10:17:51 EST 2005

Hi,

--On 21. Januar 2005 23:57:25 Uhr +0100 Simon Matter
<simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com> wrote:

>> could you please specify the exact kernel versions you are referring to?
>> I'm not sure which version update 3 was. We are currently running
>> 2.4.21-15.0.3.ELsmp. We can't really use a newer version, because we need
>> IBM's sdd driver for SAN vpaths and they are slow in certifying new
>> kernels
>> ... maybe telling them about specific issues might speed up the process.
>
> A lttle bit OT: I don't know the IBM thing but I expect it's all about
> multipathing some FC connected SAN disks. Maybe you also use qla2300
> cards. We were forced to use HP's secure path for this. It's expensive and
> it's also never available for updated kernels in time. Now we are just
> using the multipathing/failover which is built in into the qla2300 drivers
> of the newest RedHat kernels and it works like a charm.

thanks for the info. I've told our systems people about this and they are
now playing around with it. Our situation is probably a little more
complicated than usual because of an additional layer of virtualization
that is introduced by the IBM SVC stuff. There are four "raw" devices
visible for each volume ...

Cheers, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK