Signalled to death by 13 - CONTINUED

Nikola Milutinovic Nikola.Milutinovic at ev.co.yu
Tue Jan 11 01:15:16 EST 2005

Igor Brezac wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Nikola Milutinovic wrote:
>
>> Igor Brezac wrote:
>>
>>> Check the imapd.conf man page for debug_command.  This may help you.
>>

>> Good advice, but for some other occasion, see below.

>>> Can you look at the traffic between OE and cyrus?  You can also turn
>>> telemetry log on and see if cyrus will log some of that stuff for you.
>>>
>>> Is it possible this is sasl problem?  What mechs do you have enabled?
>>

>> I have all possible mechs enabled.
>>
>> So, I took "ethereal" and started one session from one of the
>> offending machines.
>>
>> The session shows one strange thing, OE starts 2 threads!
>>
>> First, it starts one thread which normally communicates with IMAP
>> server, authenticates and gets to IDLE command. And then nothing.
>> Then about that
>

> Do you run idled?

Yes.

>> time, it starts another thread which, again, authenticates and does
>> all normal stuff, like
>>
>> IDLE
>> SELECT
>> FETCH
>> and
>> LOGOUT
>>
>> The first thread actually ceases to exist after or about the launch
>> of the other thread. Is the launch of the second thread the cause or
>> the effect of the first one dying is beyond me.
>> I don't think that attaching a debugger would help. What I see in
>> logs is that IMAP reports "connection reset by pear"
>> and I expect to see the same thing with the debugger. What troubles
>> me is that it happens on EACH new connection. Close OE and start it
>> up again, the same thing - two threads, first one dying.
>>
>> Do you still think it would be helpful to use a debugger?
>

> Yes.  You still do not know why the first process (imapd) is dying.

At this point I'm not exactly sure it is dying.

>> Am I wrong in blaming the MS OE?
>

> It is possible, but imapd should not dump because of a poorly behaving
> mail client.

True, but what should the log look like in case OE or any other client
just decides to cut the TCP connection? I mean, no "LOGOUT", but just
"tcp_stream.close()" in the middle of the session?

I should be able to free one IMAP server soon and direct just one OE at
it for a closer look.

Nix.