SEARCH with UW-IMAP and Cyrus-IMAP

Kevin Maguire kmaguire at eso.org
Fri Jan 7 11:05:23 EST 2005

Hi

I have copied a folder full of messages from a UW-IMAP server to a
Cyrus IMAP server.  If I use search from my client (Thunderbird on
Linux), I get different results for the same search against the folder
on the 2 servers.  I show the log of both sessiosn, (I checked by
telnet <bla> 143 to verify it wasn't a client issue)

What I am misunderstanding about the IMAP protocol here, or the Cyrus
implementation, if anything?  RFC 2060 + 3501 say:

6.4.4.  SEARCH Command

       In all search keys that use strings, a message matches the key if
       the string is a substring of the field.  The matching is case-
       insensitive.

Note that my search string was "oneforall" and, as I see it, should
only match one message (#215, returned by both servers).  However the
closely related string "one for all" appears in the other messages
returned from cyrus-imap but not from uw-imap.  Is it helpfully doing
a "fuzzy" search for me?  Is it allowed to do that without me asking?

Cheers,
Kevin

telnet uw-imaphost 143
Trying 134.171.7.20...
Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (x.x.x.x).
Escape character is '^]'
001 LOGIN me "password"
001 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LITERAL+ IDLE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY UNSELECT SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND] User me authenticated
002 SELECT some_folder
* 1153 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1059734472] UID validity status
* OK [UIDNEXT 1589] Predicted next UID
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\* \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)] Permanent flags
002 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed
003 SEARCH 1:* TEXT "oneforall"
* SEARCH 215
003 OK SEARCH completed
004 LOGOUT
* BYE xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IMAP4rev1 server terminating connection
004 OK LOGOUT completed
Connection closed by foreign host.

telnet cyrus-imaphost 143
Trying x.x.x.x...
Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (x.x.x.x).
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK xxx.xxx.xxx Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.10-Invoca-RPM-2.2.10-3.fc3 server ready
001 LOGIN me "password"
001 OK User logged in
002 SELECT some_folder
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen \*)]
* 1153 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1104914260]
* OK [UIDNEXT 1154]