Where's my mail???

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Mon Jan 10 12:22:15 EST 2005

MY first and most obvious suggestion is to check your logs.  In particular
/var/log/maillog as it's called on RH.  See what they say about the
disposition of the daemons and the mail, and go from there.  Unix does a
good job of telling you whats going on if you check log files, unlike
Windows.

--On Monday, January 10, 2005 11:45 -0500 Thomas Kessler
<audiocollage at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> O.K. here's the deal, I'm a Cyrus newbie and I am so close to getting
> everything working correctly, but there is something wrong and I don't
> know what it is.  Here is my situation:
>

> I'm trying to use sendmail and cyrus together.  I am on Fedora 3.  I'm
> using the packaged sendmail and cyrus.  I setup my mail accounts using
> cyradm.  I can send mail out, but am unable to receive mail.  I can log
> into my IMAP account, but there is never any mail???  Please help me!!!
>

> Here are all the different files I setup, let me know if there is
> something missing or wrong:
>

> system.conf

> local6.debug      /var/adm/imapd.log
>
> auth.debug  /var/adm/auth.log

> imapd.conf

> configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
>
> partition-default: /var/spool/imap
>
> admins: cyrus root
>
> sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
>
> sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
>
> hashimapspool: true
>
> sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>
> sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
>
> tls_cert_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
>
> tls_key_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
>
> tls_ca_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt
>
> allowanonymouslogin: no

> xinetd.conf

> defaults
>
> {
>
>       instances               = 60
>
>         log_type                = SYSLOG authpriv
>
>         log_on_success        = HOST PID
>
>         log_on_failure        = HOST
>
>       cps               = 25 30
>
> }
>
> disable = no
>
> includedir /etc/xinetd.d
>
> imap  stream tcp  nowait cyrus /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/imapd   imapd <----
> what does this line do?

> is it correct???
>

> hosts.allow

> cyrus-imapd: 192.168.1.2: ALLOW

> sendmail.mc

> define(`confLOCAL_MAILER', `cyrusv2')dnl MAILER(`cyrusv2')dnl
> MAILER(local)dnl MAILER(smtp)dnl

> cyrus.conf

> I did not touch this file.  Just left it as the default setup

> When I run tests everything seems fine:
>

> telnet

> [root at server /]# telnet server imap
>
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
>
> Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
>
> Escape character is '^]'.
>
> * OK server.audiocollagerecordings.com Cyrus IMAP4
> v2.2.10-Invoca-RPM-2.2.10-3.fc3 server ready

> imtest

> [root at server ~]# /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/imtest -m login server
>
> S: * OK server.audiocollagerecordings.com Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.10-Invoca-
>
> RPM-2.2.10-3.fc3 server ready
>
> C: C01 CAPABILITY
>
> S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
> NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
> BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE
> STARTTLS LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED X-NETSCAPES: C01 OK Completed Please
> [...]

Undocumented Features quote of the moment...
"It's not the one bullet with your name on it that you
have to worry about; it's the twenty thousand-odd rounds
labeled `occupant.'"
   --Murphy's Laws of Combat