Problems authenticating to Cyrus IMAP 2.2.8 as a domain-less user for server management

Jesper K. Pedersen jkp at solnet-data.dk
Fri Jan 14 12:00:24 EST 2005

For system details please see the end of this e-mail.

Having installed Cyrus Imapd 2.2.8 / Cyrus SASL 2.1.19 I have run into a
slight problem.

We use sasldb2 for storing user/passwords
Creating regular users in the form of user at domain works fine and we can
set up domain admins for each domain.

Delivery to Cyrus Imap and pickup of e-mail works fine.

In our imap.conf we have the admins line with:
---
  admins: mailman mailman at domain1 mailman at domain2 mailman at domain3
---

The domain admins mailman at domain1..3 can manage their respective domains
using the cyradm utility.

However the user mailman (without a domain) cannot log in at all on the
imap server. I created the user without a domain using:
---
  saslpasswd2 -c mailman
---

When listing the user using sasldblistusers2 he shows up as
"mailman at our_domain"

Trying to log into cyrus imap using cyradm using the user "mailman" I
get this:
---
cyradm -u mailman localhost
Password:

cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with  as mailman
---

This means I dont have a system "master" available that can see and edit
all the domains.

Also whenever I create a new e-mail user I get a log entry in my system
log saying:
---
Jan 14 17:11:42 unix saslpasswd2: setpass succeeded for mailman
Jan 14 17:11:42 unix saslpasswd2: error deleting entry from sasldb:
                DB_NOTFOUND: No matching key/data pair found
---
This happens both with a domain less name and a name with both user and
domain.

Any ideas on what the problem can be is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Jesper K. Pedersen
--
Carpe Aptenodytes!

System information:
Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Official) for i586

Packages installed related to Cyrus Imap and Cyrus SASL:
-----------------------------------
cyrus-imapd-2.2.8-2.1010mdk
cyrus-imapd-utils-2.2.8-2.1010mdk
cyrus-sasl-2.1.19-5mdk
libsasl2-2.1.19-5mdk
libsasl2-devel-2.1.19-5mdk
libsasl2-plug-crammd5-2.1.19-5mdk
libsasl2-plug-digestmd5-2.1.19-5mdk
libsasl2-plug-login-2.1.19-5mdk
libsasl2-plug-plain-2.1.19-5mdk
libsasl2-plug-sasldb-2.1.19-5mdk
perl-Authen-SASL-2.08-1mdk
perl-Cyrus-2.2.8-2.1010mdk

imap.conf
-----------------------------------
configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: mailman mailman at hamdenkloge.dk mailman at tstalle.dk
        mailman at hovederne.dk mailman at hendedenkloge.dk
virtdomains: yes
defaultdomain: unix.hamdenkloge
lmtp_downcase_rcpt: yes
allowanonymouslogin: no
sieveusehomedir: no
sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
hashimapspool: true
sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
tls_cert_file: /etc/ssl/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_key_file: /etc/ssl/cyrus-imapd/cyrus-imapd.pem

cyrus.conf
-----------------------------------
START {
  recover       cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -r"
}
SERVICES {
  imap          cmd="imapd" listen="imap" prefork=5
  imaps         cmd="imapd -s" listen="imaps" prefork=1
  pop3          cmd="pop3d" listen="pop3" prefork=3
  pop3s         cmd="pop3d -s" listen="pop3s" prefork=1
  sieve         cmd="timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=0
  lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=1
proto="udp" prefork=1}

EVENTS {
  checkpoint    cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30
  delprune      cmd="cyr_expire -E 3" at=0400
  tlsprune      cmd="tls_prune" at=0400
  squatter      cmd="squatter" period=600
}

SASL setup for imap