Possible explanation for root ownage?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Wed Jan 19 08:51:36 EST 2005

Hi,

yesterday all of a sudden one of the BDB log files had root as owner and
things stopped working. I'm still trying to figure out how it could have
happened.

Here's a theory: we have an hourly cron job that provisions /etc/sasldb2
from our separate user database. Until today this cron job ran as user
root. For the most part it uses saslpasswd2 and Cyrus::IMAP::Admin to do
its job, but it also calls mbpath.

I've heard it said that it's unsafe to use the Cyrus utilities as root.
Most of them don't even work when you try to use them with UID 0. But I
always thought that mbpath should be safe, because it's read-only. Now I
wonder.

Is it conceivable that executing mbpath as root messes up BDB's
environment? If so, I guess it should also refuse to run as root ...

Anyway, I have now modified the cron job to be executed as cyrus.

Cheers, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK