Apple Mail.app not playing nicely with Cyrus on large mailboxes,
gharris at math.ku.edu
Thu Jan 20 13:11:30 EST 2005
I have solved the problem.
What I did was telnet to port 143, use the imap commands to manually
login the user and select the message range that was causing the
problem. From there, I then narrowed that range, to determine the exact
message that was causing the problem and crashing the server. When I
determined that it was UID 340, i went to the user's inbox directory
</var/spool/imap/u/user/username> and moved message 340 to a vacant
number (you must do this so the reconstruct command purges existing
headers for that message!), and then modified the headers to prevent
problems. I noted that the from address had extra <'s and "'s nested
and in the wrong places (this is exactly how it was in UW-Imap, I went
back to the mail spool to double check). once i fixed these, i called
the cyrus reconstruct command and went back to the command line and
telneted to port 143, selecting both the new and the old message numbers
to verify it wouldn't crash the server. And it didn't.
The other user using Ximian Evolution had been cc:'d the same message.
Out of millions of e-mail messages, migrated, these were the only two
that caused any type of a crash. And the crash only occured with
Evolution and Mail.app, but did not occur with pine and with Mozilla
Thunderbird. Looking at the telemetry log, I noticed that there was a
fundamental difference in the commands used to select the headers of the
Thanks guys for all your help.
Dan Perez wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is a Mac problem (probably) or a Cyrus problem...
> but I'm running into exactly the same thing. We just moved to Macs a
> little while ago, and some of our users have horrible response with the
> Mail client. I just built a new mail server (Cyrus 2.2.10-8 & Sendmail
> running on red hat enterprise linux 3.0) and I'm doing some stress testing.
> At first I sent a 1000's of messages to my mailbox and things seemed to
> work fine with Mail.app. (100's of megs worth of data) Well... worked
> fine after the initial hour or 2 of caching the headers, downloading the
> messages, and indexing the local cache.
> Next I migrated one user's INBOX folder (170 megs in 3000+ messages)
> from exchange to the Cyrus server. The user's mailbox has 500+ megs of
> mail but I wanted to start small. Although my mailbox had more
> messages, and was larger, the Mail.app client works a lot better with my
> mailbox than it does with the first user I tried to test with.
> I copied the mail over using Outlook. It seemed like the easiest way
> (right click copy paste) even though it took > 1hr to copy the 170 megs.
> I just read this thread so now I plan on trying to add a telemetry log
> for that user and do some more testing. I'll follow up if I learn
> anything worthwile.
Department of Mathematics
The University of Kansas
gharris at math.ku.edu
Cyrus Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
Cyrus Wiki/FAQ: http://cyruswiki.andrew.cmu.edu
List Archives/Info: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/mailing-list.html
More information about the Info-cyrus