popminpoll problem

Darren Joy darrenj at joy.org.uk
Tue Jan 25 07:56:39 EST 2005

I have a user who seems insistent on setting their pop3s poll time to 1
minute, and they have two accounts, so that's 2880 logins per day over
pop3s, for just *one* user. Annoying, and clearly not doing any favours
for memory usage.

So, I think, "popminpoll", that's the answer. A setting of 5 (mins) should
be ok I figure. So I set popminpoll to 5 and restart everything.

Except, it doesn't seem to work. I can still see my problem user logging
in twice every minute. Any ideas why? does popminpoll work only for pop3
and not pop3s?

Technical info..

name       : Cyrus IMAPD
version    : v2.1.16 2003/11/19 16:45:28
vendor     : Project Cyrus
support-url: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
os         : FreeBSD
os-version : 4.11-STABLE
environment: Cyrus SASL 2.1.19
             Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 3.3.11: (July 12, 2001)
             Built w/OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004
             Running w/OpenSSL 0.9.7d 17 Mar 2004
             CMU Sieve 2.2
             TCP Wrappers
             mmap = shared
             lock = fcntl
             nonblock = fcntl
             auth = unix
             idle = poll
             mailboxes.db = db3
             seen.db = flat
             subs.db = flat
             deliver.db = db3-nosync
             tls_sessions.db = db3-nosync

Also, I get another problem, with every login for my users, I get the
following line in logs :

Jan 24 17:21:45 hostname pop3d[16320]: no user in db

Yet I know the user exists in the db, and they're getting their mail ok,
but I constantly see this message. Anyone else seen this?

--
Darren Joy