Sieve Authentication Fails

Dan Perez perezda_bulk at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 3 17:24:23 EST 2005

Hi All,

I see that this question has been posted before, but I don't see a clear
answer, so forgive me.  Any leads would be appreciated.

I'm running cyrus 2.2.10, on RHEL 3.0.  It works great.  Now I want to start
using sieve... but I can't get sieveshell to connect to the server and I
don't understand why.

[root at app1 log]# sieveshell -u cyrus localhost
connecting to localhost
Please enter your password:
unable to connect to server at /usr/bin/sieveshell line 169, <STDIN> line 1.

my imapd conf:
configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap
admins: cyrus
sievedir: /var/lib/imap/sieve
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
hashimapspool: true
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
tls_cert_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_key_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/cyrus-imapd.pem
tls_ca_file: /usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt

saslauthd is running w/ -a pam

Authentication works fine for the IMAP server, cyradm.

Sieve is listening...
[root at app1 log]# telnet localhost sieve
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
"IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.2.10-Invoca-RPM-2.2.10-8"
"SASL" "PLAIN"
"SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress
relational comparator-i;ascii-numeric regex"
"STARTTLS"
OK

Heck, I even get sieve headers in my emails...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan