Cyrus in ISP environment?

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Wed Feb 16 09:41:39 EST 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > have anyone successfully used Cyrus in ISP/webhosting environment?
> > This means many different domains with little number of mailboxes per
> > domain.
> > Number of mailboxes: 500K - 1M
> > Disk space used: 1TB and more
> > Number of messages (daily number): 2-3M and more
> > Is it recommended to use Cyrus in such environment?
>
> FastMail does.
> http://www.fastmail.fm

Indeed. But to do what they do, they have used just about every trick on the
book and then some to squezze extra performance out of the system.  So, do
NOT expect to duplicate what the FastMail people did doing anything less
than:

1. Using the appropriate hardware and filesystems.
2. Using Cyrus 2.3.
3. Using the best possible configuration for the above.

But it is doable, yes.  It just ain't cheap or easy.  4M messages/day means
almost 50 messages per second.  You will probably need a murder cluster or a
two-layer perdition cluser and two-layer MTA setup to get this.  And a pool
of content filter workers, and webmail servers too.

Have I ever said I admire the FastMail.fm folks a lot? No? Well, here it is
:-)

  Henrique Holschuh