Hardware RAID Level & Performance

Rob Mueller robm at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 17 22:36:26 EST 2005

> <http://www.synetic.net/Synetic-Products/SyneRAID-Units/SyneRAID6-16-3U/SyneRAID6-SATA.htm>
>
> No experience with them, but they're the best specs I've seen for SATA
> external RAID - decent processor and NCQ support.

There's quite a few companies making these SATA-to-SCSI and SATA-to-FC
boxes. A lot of them look quite similar and have almost identical specs, and
are probably just rebadged versions of the same box made somewhere in
Taiwan/China.

http://www.excelmeridiandata.com/products/raid.shtml
http://www.fibrenetix.co.uk/products/
http://www.infortrend.com/800600/eonstor.asp
http://www.areasys.com/template.asp?content=index_ide_raid.asp

I'm sure a bit of google searching can find a lot more.

They appear to be reaonsably good value, and some of them have some nice
features:

1. High density - eg. 12 400G SATA drives in 3U is a lot of space
2. RAID6 - some units now have what they call "RAID6", which is RAID5 with
double parity. That's different to RAID5+hotspare in that 2 drives can fail
simultaneously with no problems. Nice if you have high IO load situation,
since if 1 drive fails, and you wait for it to rebuild to the hotspare it
could be 24+ hours, quite a danger time for another drive to possibly fail
in a big 12 or 16 drive array.
3. All-in-one - Sure you could have a PC motherboard and SATA controller
card and an appropriate, but then you've got another OS to maintain/upgrade,
etc. These tend to come as one box that you slide the drives in, create the
partitions through a web-interface, and away you go. They often offer
monitoring via a web-interface, and active alerting through SNMP and/or SMTP
email.
4. Battery backup - most of them come with 128M-1024M of cache, and an
optional battery backup option so you can use write-back caching which
definitely helps performance

Areasys include a blurb why they think it's better than a "build your own"
solution, but of course make up your own mind.
http://www.areasys.com/pdf/2012_vs_HomeMadeStorageServer.pdf

We've used two different boxes from different companies and so far they've
worked great. Hmmm, hope I'm not tempting murphy by saying that... ;)

Rob