Horde/IMP authentication to Cyrus via client certificates?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at starnetworks.us
Thu Feb 17 22:30:40 EST 2005

Igor Brezac wrote:

> SASL/EXTERNAL is what you want although I have to not tried it.
> OpenLDAP works great.  In theory, the CN part of the client
> certitificate subject needs to be a valid mailbox.  You can test this
> with imtest -t client_cert_file -m EXTERNAL ....  I assume that you have
> SSL/TLS working.

Yes, I do have that working. I'll test with SASL/EXTERNAL, it sounds
like exactly what I need. I don't really want the CN to be the mailbox
name, though, I'd rather have SASL/EXTERNAL work off the email address
embedded in the certificate.

> Your bigger issue is to find a client that supports SASL/EXTERNAL.  I do
> not believe c-client library (this is what drives IMP/Horde via PHP)
> supports SASL/EXTERNAL, so this is what you need to start hacking.

That's been my plan; c-client is very simple, and I've already hacked
Horde to get the PEM-encoded client cert from Apache and store it in a
session variable, so I can extract it out in IMP and pass it to
c-client. If I get it working I'll post the results :-)