Lutos-Notes to Cyrus

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon Feb 21 20:42:33 EST 2005

On 2005-02-21, Jukka Salmi <j+asg at 2005.salmi.ch> wrote:
> Lincoln Zuljewic Silva --> info-cyrus (2005-02-21 17:48:29 -0300):
>> I have to migrate the Lotus Notes Mailboxes to Cyrus
>> Mailboxes....Anybody already do this ?
>
> No, but I'll have to do this later this month. I'll probably use
> imapsync[1] and lots of patience. ;-)

It's occurred to me that one of the reasons imapsync and similar in-protocol
tools is so slow is that, like any server that cares about on-disk integrity,
Cyrus fsync's after receiving every message.  What's done with some servers,
like OpenLDAP IIRC, is disabling the fsync after every write, with the
assuption that in the brief period you're migrating, you're willing to risk
a failure in return for speeding up the process considerably.

It would probably take a good bit of hacking to not only make the
fsync conditional, but also make the various database backends disable
filesystem-flushes.  You could probably implement a library loadable using
LD_LIBRARY_PATH that overrode fsync to be a no-op, so you could easily enable
it and then ignore it the rest of the time.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *