Problems with sieveshell under Solaris 9

Robert Scussel rscuss at omniti.com
Thu Feb 24 17:04:29 EST 2005

I I have perl 5.8.5.  I don't know about 5.8.3 and when I looked around
I couldn't find it on Sunfreeware any more, but under 5.8.5 it states:

Important Note - Solaris 9 comes with a slightly earlier version of perl
in /usr/bin. You may wish to use this version rather than the version on
sunfreeware.com. If you do install this perl and want to use it rather
than the Sun one, you will need to have /usr/local/bin in your PATH
before /usr/bin.

Which might mean that the version you have might not be right.

This is just a guess, but I hope it helps.

Thomas Robers wrote:
> Robert Scussel wrote:
>
>> This might be a shot in the dark, but having recently battled through
>> some quirks on Solaris 9, make sure that your perl binary is one that
>> was compiled on the Solaris box with gcc ( unless of course you
>> actually have the sun compiler and compiled cyrus with it ). The one
>> from sunfreeware works. I was having all sorts of issues trying to
>> install perl modules with the solaris CC compiled perl.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>

> Hi Robert,
>
> the perl binary is the one from sunfreeware. It's version 5.8.3.
> So it should work? I use gcc version 3.2.2 also from sunfreeware.
> But I don't know if that perl version is compiled with gcc 3.2.2.
>
> I also tried the perl that comes with Solaris 9
> but that didn't work. I got an error message:
>
>  > make[2]: cc: Command not found
>  > make[2]: *** [IMAP.o] Error 127
>
> The compiling stops in the directory ./perl/imap. It seems that
> the Sun compiler is assumed from the perl binary shipped with
> Solaris.
> I think I try it with self compiled version of perl.
>
> Thanks
> Thomas
>
> ---

Robert Scussel
1024D/BAF70959/0036 B19E 86CE 181D 0912  5FCC 92D8 1EA1 BAF7 0959