Berkeley DB detection problems

Adrian Buciuman impersonala at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 11:35:44 EST 2005

On 12/12/05, Ken Murchison <murch at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> I am pleased to announce the release of Cyrus IMAPd 2.3.0.  This is an
> BETA-quality release

I'm trying to compile it on Slackware.

How can I elegantly select which Berkeley DB to use?

I want to use libdb-3.3, which is the system default, used by
sendmail, sasl etc.
With no configure option, 3.3 db.h is included, and libdb-4.2 is
tentatively used for linking; it gives an error about undefined
reference to `txn_checkpoint'. If I use
--with-bdb-incdir=path_to_4.2_db.h it compiles correctly. But how to
use libdb-3.3?

Both are installed in the same directory.
/lib/libdb-3.3.so
/lib/libdb-4.2.so

I've had (and solved) this problem with sasl and imapd 2.2.12 before,
but since this is a nice new release (thanks!) I feel it is the right
time to give up ugly hacks.

(BTW: under same conditions, cyrus sasl fails in a miserable way. It
compiles, and the utilities like sasldblistusers2  segmentation faults
at runtime with no clear clue for the user that this is because of
berkeley db problems. IMHO it should instead test for libdb mismatch,
give an error and refuse to run)

Thanks for help,
Adrian Buciuman