Just need a push

cyrus cyrus at micromark.com.cn
Wed Dec 14 16:38:06 EST 2005

On Dec 14, 2005, at 9:57 PM, John P. Speno wrote:

> Hi, my name is John, and I'm a former unix sys admin but I gave it
> up to be a programmer (yay python!). Now I'm back in the sys admin
> game for a small family business that needs to scale its order
> management system better and I think cyrus and IMAP is just the
> thing, but I just wanted to get a little feedback.
>
> All orders a now tracked in an Apple Mail.app POP account so
> there's thousands of locally stored folders containing mail
> messages on one machine (backed up nightly of course).
>
> I need to share that among several machines now so many people can
> process the inbox and arrange the folders as needed. That's
> basically IMAP, right?
>
> Beyond that, my concerns are performance and backups. Since the
> IMAP server will be out on the net, I assume Mail.app's local
> caching will make searching the mail as fast as it is now. Any clue?
>
> But what about backups? Supposing I lost the server and it's mail.
> Would I be able to reconstruct it from the locally cached copy in
> Mail.app?
>
> Thanks!
> ----

john,

just watch out for the apple mail app, I have located corruption by
the client , when it is used against an  cyrus-imap system.
I am currently working it through with apple engineering.
Lukily for you , the bug relates to the way apple mail caches its
mails & attachments. ( so DON'T)

That said, once it is fixed, you can use the mail client to cache the
emails locally , then use apple spotlight to index & search them.

As for your folder system,  yes you CAN do that and it does work very
well, ( we use exactly the same system in our office)

Backups
there is YET ANOTHER bug with the mail app, in that it can make
backups, but they cannot be used later , (way to go apple, let the
user think they have a backup), in fact they are totally useless.
(so DON'T)

try the microsoft mail client.

Steve