Outlook does not delete but displays deleted messages asstrike-trough

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Dec 12 12:42:13 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 11:26 -0600, Karl Boyken wrote:
> We've been migrating our users from UW IMAP to Cyrus, and a few of our
> Outlook and Outlook Express users have been having a problem regarding
> deletion that they never had with UW IMAP.  When they open a message up
> in a separate window, then close it, Outlook/Outlook Express marks the
> message as deleted, with a strike-through.  One of our Outlook users
> could no longer read the message at that point.
----
These types of issues are created by configuration options within the
MUA itself - configuration options that don't contemplate the effects on
an IMAP server.

Opening a message and closing it to find it deleted means that they have
chosen an option to automatically move read mail to another folder which
would cause it to be deleted from INBOX. That's a horrible waste of
resources on an IMAP server.

Best I can suggest is that Computer Sciences Department get copies of
the frequently used clients so they can duplicate the client optional
settings, behaviors on the IMAP server and create a set of recommended
settings for the various mail client applications.

You should note that Microsoft deliberately cripples the IMAP
capabilities within their Outlook program - rendering it a less than
ideal IMAP client.
----
> One Outlook user also reported that clicking send/receive messages
> didn't do anything.
----
What was it supposed to do?

Craig